Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The lost art of letter writing - Project Letter Writing 2012

personalized cards by Angie Allen Stationary 

When I take down my displayed holiday cards each year, I always tell myself I'm going to write my friends a letter or card sometime throughout the new year. This has been a pipe dream of mine for years.  To sit down in an evening, choose a random friend, and write a note to them on beautiful stationary. It's a great notion but one that is often squashed by reality. 

As the postal service is having financial issues, letter writing is becoming even more obsolete. I've used the USPS for all my shipping needs and have been extremely pleased with their service. It is truly amazing to me that a package or letter can get across the country in a matter of a few days for very little money. And what about the convenience of having something brought directly to your home daily?  As much as I complained about the rising cost of postage, 44 cents can be found under the floor mats of my car or sofa seat cushions.  It's embarrassing to think how much I willingly spend on a cup of coffee from YouKnowWhobucks.

I love the art of letter writing. I love beautiful stationary and cards. I have a box full of cards for every holiday. I have gorgeous pens, nibs and inks. If better organized, I should be able to send at the very least a birthday card a month.  It's all been a lovely notion.

As I pondered this idea for the ?? year, I thought that even a card/letter a month isn't a huge task. I just need to commit to it.  So, that is what I'm going to do. Would you like to join me?  I'm going to write a letter or send a card to someone at least once a month (maybe more but at least once).  I'll document it here with a photo. If you'd like to make this commitment, too, just share your post or photo and I'll post it along with mine for the month.

Do I have any takers?

Related Posts with Thumbnails