Friday, December 30, 2011

Another new year, another fresh start

Is it me or do the years begin to fly by faster?  Here we are approaching 2012.  2012!

I'm not big on resolutions as I've mentioned in January 2009 and January 2010.  I feel like making them just sets me up for failure. I'm probably hung up on the word more than the action.  I like to set goals, but do that all year round.  I do like to look back to see the path on which I've meandered.

2011 was a big year for our family. It was a year filled with tremendous change. It was the end of  Chris' 14 years of medical training (I added a new picture to the post. Look at how we've changed). It was a new beginning for us as we moved across the country.  We feel very fortunate to have found a wonderful practice for Chris and a great community. Our transition was long and exhausting but we have all come through it for the better. It was a good year.


I kicked off a new website in 2011 but as the year progressed, had to slow my work down to move our family across the country. I've slowly set up a new studio and ready to begin designing a new.  It is a great feeling to be excited about creating again.  I have new fabrics and ideas fluttering around in my head, eager to come to life.

This blog has really grown thanks to all of you. What started as a mere journal of my work has become a source for even myself.  I'm grateful to you, my readers and contributors (Diana, Lindy, and Candy). I hope that it continues to provide easy (any one can do it) projects, recipes, and inspiration. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts, ideas, and encouragement.

I look forward to continuing to nurture relationships that I've made online via blogging, Twitter, and Facebook.
It may sound strange to those who aren't on some of these sites, but I know I've made some lifelong friends online.  I'd never have met these great people any other way.  Some of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:  Angie (Angie Allen Stationary), Cyn (RiverDog Prints) and most recently, Amy (Formfireglass) on her recent visit to Reno. I've known Amy online since 2008. We've conversed for years.  What a wonderful world this Internet can be.  I know there are many more of you whom I'll meet in the future.

Here are some lessons I've learned in the past year and want to continue to remind myself in the future:

1) Most things can wait. I can choose what is important to me and my family at any moment.
2) Make things happen. Life doesn't have to control us, we can control our lives. 
3) Let go. My day is better when I let go of the things I can't control.
4) Practice good listening. Don't give advice unless specifically asked. Don't try to 'fix' things. Simply listen.

For those of you who have participated in our weekly OM [one moment] meet ups, I encourage you to look back on your moments.  They are great reminders of what we've noticed in our daily lives, how we've made it through some tough times, and how we've laughed at ourselves.  They will make you appreciate your past year and encourage you in your year to come.

Have you looked back at your year?
What have you learned?
What are your new year's goals or resolutions?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails