Friday, August 5, 2011

Home is where your plants are - OM [one moment] meet up

It's been a while since I've written an OM post not because there haven't been wonderful moments to share, but because I've been overwhelmed by all of them.  There's been my trip across the US, the closing on our new house, unpacking, exploring, and everything in between.  I've just recently begun wrapping my head around blogging again (not to mention having internet access and a desk top upon which to work).  Perhaps some of these moments will pop up in other posts in the future.  Since I'm trying my darnedest to get back into a writing routine, I'll share a simple but happy moment I had this week.

I've written about my love for adding plants throughout my living space.  While I don't have a green thumb, I've learned what I can grow (or not kill) over the years.  Each time we've moved, I've had to pass my plants along to my friends.  I'm always happy to do this because I know they are in great hands, however, there is a tinge of sadness having to say goodbye.  Plants take lots of care and nurturing after all.

Some of my favorite houseplants are Jasmine:  night blooming, Maid of Orleans, or orange are my favs.  My love for these plants began years ago when we lived in Chicago and my neighbor gave me a clipping.  Since that moment, I've always had at least two large Jasmine plants in my home.  These plants are so fragrant and bloom fairly often.  The fragrance brings me a lot of joy and comfort.

Since moving to Reno, I have purchased several plants which immediately made the house feel homey. It's an odd habit, but I do tend to replace my plants quickly in a new home. Today I was able to find a large Jasmine plant, ripe with blooms, at my local nursery.  This made me extremely happy and gave me a more "settled" feeling.  Funny how something as simple as a plant can make one feel at home.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're starting to get back in the swing of things. Tumultuous as this summer has been - it's probably the last crazy move you'll have, so HOOORAY!

    I love the smell of jasmine - how awesome that you were able to get that big plant and make your house home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be happy to know your peace lily that was dying in the garage has flourished and bloomed a couple of times already :-) I still don't quite have the correct balance on its water needs, but I haven't killed it yet!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails