Monday, August 17, 2009

Back to reality


Just returned from a week on the Cape (Chatham, to be precise). While I can't say that it was relaxing - house full of kids ages 3 to 12 - I can say that it was fun. We vacationed with my dad, my brother and his family. It was nice to spend time with family and not be tethered to the computer.

While in Chatham, I referred to this post quite a bit. My friend, Anisa (kidoinfo.com) used to live there and shares great places to visit. BTW, I ran into her in Provincetown...what a small world. Here are a few of my favorite highlights when visiting this part of the Cape:
  1. The Chatham Fishing Pier. The kids love to watch the boats come in and unload their catches of the day. Two playful seals live happily in the bay as they enjoy the fishing leftovers.
  2. family photo in shadow - Chatham Pier


  3. Ridgevale Beach, Chatham: We loved this beach! It was kid friendly and the perfect size. We also enjoyed sailing here.

  4. Inaho: A fantastic Japanese restaurant (recommended by Anisa) in Yarmouth. The food is wonderful! Try the beef rolled scallions!

  5. Provincetown: Great shopping, food, and people. My favorite shop is P-Town Pulp, a fun gift and novelty store. We've gone on the Critter Cruise from P-town several times. The kids really enjoy the hands-on nature of this boat ride. The crew drops lobster pots and lets the kids touch and release what is caught.
Being on the beach for a week made me realize how I take the East Coast for granted. Sitting on the beach with a book or walking the shore with a camera is so relaxing. Even a nice walk around the neighborhood should be a daily must for everyone.

I came back to some 450+ emails, one of which was this gem I want to share with you. It is from
DailyWorth:

A Time for Rest

Our minds and bodies need rest. We're nicer, happier, more productive women when we feel rested. We see you nodding in agreement. In Italy and other parts of Europe, everyone stops working in August! While we in the U.S. don't embrace such luxury, we at DailyWorth toast the European tradition and encourage you to emulate it in any way you can. So here's your assignment for the rest of the summer: Take a few days off, sleep an extra hour, read OK! mag (that was a call out to the OK! writers we know are reading DailyWorth - holla!), go to the beach, drink an extra glass of Riesling — whatever relaxation means to you.

I really like the European idea of taking the entire month of August off. Unfortunately, that would be nearly impossible to do. So, I am promising myself to set aside a little bit of time each day just for me. Whether a 15 minute break with a magazine or a 45 minute walk to the beach, it is important not only for myself, but for my family.

What do you do for yourself (just you) each day? I'm going to ask you this question each day this week, so be prepared.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time, and i am sure it was great to plant some kisses on that nice and nephew of yours! I am so proud of you that you were able to stay away from the computer, or at least from posting on your blog, for the whole time. Keep up the good work of relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, but I didn't even want to go near the computer for fear of being sucked into its vortex.

    But, alas, I'm back in the saddle again!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails