Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Modern stockings are hung...

Since it's our first year in this old modern house, I felt slightly overwhelmed when it came to decorating for the holidays. I simply couldn't bring myself to unpack our decorations and ornaments. I'd have been flooded with memories. So I thought I'd give us a fresh start this year.  I know that in the years to come our treasured ornaments will be added.

Our tree is minimally and Seussically decorated in a theme of red and bright green glitter. Since you can't see our front door from the street, we hung a jumbo (5') lighted wreath on an outside wall.  Everything is on timers so we don't have to turn a darned thing on or off.  The biggest effort I made this year was sewing new stockings. I thought our modern home could use modern stockings.


I've gravitated toward these colors in our family room (pillows, rugs, blankets).   I used fleece and white faux fur and adhesive letters.


We have a wood burning insert in our family room fireplace.  This made it easy to attach the stockings with magnetic hooks.

The large rock wall separates the living room from our family room.  There is a rather big fireplace on the other side.  The colors in the room started from Daisy Janie's Geo Grand pillow (seen on the chair). Thanks, Jan!
An unintended tradition we have each year is cutting out and hanging snow flakes.This year, we hung them above the fireplace.  Attached under a skylight they move gently and seem to float.  

Did you make anything for your home this year?
What are some of your family decorating traditions?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails