Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cookies in a Jar - A great gift anytime of year

'Tis the season for sharing as recipes, printable tags, and gift ideas abound.  Our handmade gift this year is the culmination of several generous resources online that I'm happy to share with you.  Fun to do, engaging for the whole family, and yummy - Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Jar.

 

Supplies:
quart canning jars
6"x6" fabric squares
twine
gift tags
ingredients below

I used this recipe from All Recipes.  I took the recommendations of others who commented on this recipe and made a few changes:

Ingredients:
2 cups of flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c packed brown sugar
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (I used 1 c chips/1 c M&Ms)

I made a paper funnel for my jars to make pouring easy.  Mix dry white ingredients together.  Next, I added the following ingredients in order really packing each layer.  I used a small spatula and tapped the jar on the counter for each layer.

flour mixture
brown sugar
M & Ms
chips

Screw on the lid. Tie a fabric square onto the jar with a ribbon , jute or raffia.  Add a tag with the instructions.  I printed the baking instructions on sticker paper (follow the link and feel free to use) and adhered to the back of each tag.  You could also simple print on paper and attach with glue stick.  I found holiday tags generously shared and created by Hey Look - thank you! You could also use my Santa tags or search the internet for other printable tags.

The boys made a batch by themselves following the instructions. The cookies turned out great.  We'll be making more of these in the future (with different color candies or flavored chips for different occasions).

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails