Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Coconut Shrimp Curry - 4 thumbs up

Photo: Jennifer Martine; Styling: Karen Shinto - MyRecipes.com

I've been meaning to post few recipes up to share with you. Last night, I made Coconut Shrimp Curry from the new February issue of Sunset Magazine. My family gives it 4 thumbs up (meaning we all liked it and would like it made again).

We favor the spicy in our house, so I did add extra cayenne pepper to it (added to the garam marsala spice mixture).


Coconut Shrimp Curry with rice

Time: 20 minutes. In just a few minutes, warm spices and creamy coconut milk cook into a rich, satisfying sauce for shrimp and rice.

Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon garam masala (Don't have this spice? Try this mixture substitute here)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups cooked basmati rice
1/4 cup cilantro leaves

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onion until softened, about 2 minutes. Add spices, garlic, and shrimp and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and salt; simmer 10 minutes to meld flavors.

2. Spoon curry over rice on plates. Garnish with cilantro.

1 comment:

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails