Monday, December 5, 2011

My baby is 15 today - let's eat cake - Texas chocolate cake

My first born is 15 years old today.  It's hard to believe and, indeed, time goes very quickly.  We jumped into his bed this morning, dogs and all, to sing him happy birthday.  This truly is what teenagers love...not, but he took it in stride.

I slipped on his shoes the other day as I took the dogs out.  He has man feet.  My feet (none too small at size 8) swim in his shoes (size 13).  My baby is grown up. He's not even finished growing. Sigh. I guess this is what they do.
Happy Birthday, Max! We love you dearly!

As is our tradition, he has chosen his bday dinner (sushi) and requested his cake - Texas Chocolate.  This recipe is from my mom and was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Warning: this recipe isn't for the faint of heart.  It's rich, moist, delicious. Rich.  A treat once or twice a year.  Much more than that, I'd recommend consulting your cardiologist.  What's a cake if not a treat?!

I'll add a photo later, once I've made it.

Texas Chocolate Cake

cake ingredients:

2 sticks butter (1 cup)
1 c water
1/4 c cocoa
2 c four
2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 c sour cream

Bring to boil butter, water, and cocoa.
Combine dry ingredients - flour, sugar, soda, salt. 
Add hot mixture at once to flour mixture
Lastly add beaten eggs and sour cream.
Mix well.

Pour into greased 9.5 x 13.5 (3 qt) baking dish. 
Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Make icing while cake is backing and frost while warm.

frosting ingredients:
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
6 tbsp milk
2 tbsp cocoa
1 box powdered sugar (2 cups)
1 tsp vanilla

Bring to boil butter, milk, cocoa. 
Add all at once to powdered sugar.
Add vanilla.
Mix well and pour on warm cake (icing will be runny and ooze into the corners - the best pieces).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails