Thursday, May 21, 2009

Highlights of my San Francisco trip

click on bottom right icon for full screen



San Francisco, what can I say that hasn't already been said. I think I definitely left my heart there this trip. I spent much of my time in San Rafael and Marin County with a college friend and her family. We (including my other good college friend who came down from Seattle) didn't sight see too much but rather experienced the area like the locals.

The towns in Marin County feel like college towns all connected. There were wonderful farmers markets with fresh produce, music, crafts, and lots of energy with people out and about. The restaurants were fabulous and many alfresco. The weather was perfect. Pockets of Marin County, including San Rafael and San Anselmo, are mostly sunny with no fog. We had two days of near 100 degrees but it wasn't the kind of heat I'm used to on the east coast or Midwest.


We spent one week day morning in Sonoma, my first taste of wine country. We went to 3 wineries including Gloria Ferrer and Shug. I could've been in Italy. What a world of difference only 20+ minutes away.


Our last evening, my friend insisted we do something touristy so we went to the Golden Gate Bridge. The size of this bridge always takes my breath away. As the fog was rolling in, it felt like a looming presence moving eerily and with purpose. It made for perfect picture taking and instant atmosphere. I had never seen the fog roll in quite like that before. The weather changes quickly and the temperature dropped 15 degrees easily.


I can't yet bring myself to Twitter and had to force myself to blog today. I'm still basking in the afterglow of my mini vacation.

3 comments:

  1. Your photos of the farmers market are beautiful. I work for the Marin Farmers Markets, we run 7 markets in the Bay Area, two of which are in San Rafael. Were the photos taken at the Sunday Marin Civic Center Farmers Market?

    I am glad you enjoyed are market, come back and visit again soon!

    Adriana Broullon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the photos were taken at the Civic Center (the lovely Frank Lloyd Wright building, yes?!). Wow, 7 markets...what wonderful resources and destinations for the Bay Area. I will certainly visit again, and dream of my visit in the meantime! Thanks, Adriana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and it looks like you did have a relaxing time. I just noticed your quote by Bertrand Russell...he certainly has many good ideas.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails