Monday, March 30, 2009

Retinol is not for me!

Why is there always a price for beauty?!

I've never been one to follow a beauty regimen. My mom, to this day, always tells me I should take better care of my skin. Honestly, I thought that I wouldn't have to worry about it being half Asian. I was pretty proud of myself for using a night cream and a daily moisturizer with SPF. I did have a microdermabrasion once. Hated it and won't do it again!! I'm a beauty wimp.

I now see why my mom, aunts, and grandmother have harped on me all these years. My Vietnamese aunt, who is in her mid 60s, has perfect skin -truly perfect. Why? Because when she is went to the beach with us in Vietnam, she wore a hat, a long sleeve linen shirt and pants, zinc oxide, and gloves. I was frolicking in a tankini, obviously American.

Notice the gloves and white cream on her face.


It was humid and in the mid to upper 90s. See how everyone is dressed? I wore shorts and tank tops.

So, I'm in my early 40s (I have no problem announcing that, nor do my boys) and am beginning to see the signs of my age around my eyes. I've been wanting to try some new eye creams and broke down and bought some this weekend. Based on a review I saw in the recent Martha Stewart magazine, I bought ROC Deep Wrinkle Night Cream. It has retinol in it which is the most effective anti-wrinkle ingredient out there.

My husband warned me. The tube warned me. But, no. I had to try for myself. For 3 nights I applied this cream to my eyes. Now, they itch and sting like a mofo! I'm so bummed. Clearly, I'm going to have to age without the help of special creams. There is no way I can apply this stuff for 4 to 8 weeks to see results. Bummer! (NOTE: this won't happen to everyone. Just me.)



Anyone want a $20.00, hardly used tube of cream? I'll ship it to you for free!














4 comments:

  1. OK. First, if you want to use a good retinol cream you need to see a dermatologist. Not only do they have the strongest and most effective creams around, but they give the best advice on how to use them. True, Retinol is very, very drying. That is why the recommendation is to start by using it every other night and applying AFTER your moisturizer. Use a really good moisturizer. I use Philophosy's Hope in a Jar. After a week or two start using it every other day before the moisturizer. I can't stress the moisturizer thing enough. As you skin adjusts, and it will, increase the number of days of week you use it until you are using it every day. OH - BE SURE YOU ARE ONLY USING A PEA SIZE for your entire face.

    I can attest the stuff is amazing. I am on prescription Tazarac and my skin has never look so luminous and lovely. This is due to the old dead cell taking a hike. If you have any more questions, contact me. I also use more Philosophy products that I swear by.

    Age and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and frankly honey you look great. But if you want to give your skin that youthful kick, try my suggestions.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried retinol once and had the same reaction but my skin is super sensitive. This was from a dermatologist too. We started really slow and a very light dose. After 1 week, my eyes were so puffy I decided wrinkles were the plan for the rest of my life! I call them my wisdom lines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in Hawaii last year staying with David's mom, we're in the car and she says to him "Hand me my driving gloves." I couldn't wait to see what she was talking about, it was those same ones in that photo! I got such a kick out of them. Clearly, they work. She,too, has flawless skin which she attributes purely to staying out of the sun. She always tells me "I only use soap and water."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urgh, I feel you. I am allergic to everything too. The only thing my eyes accept is baby bodylotion. So that's what I use to take off my make up (it works, thankfully!). No wrinkles yet, maybe the baby stuff will keep me young? :P

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails