Thursday, April 6, 2017

Sewing dresses for spring and the year of the statement sleeve

I can't seem to stop sewing dresses, particularly summer dresses.  I'm clearly longing for warmer weather, backyard parties, and cocktails on a terrace.  So here are two of my latest finished projects:


I don't typically go for romantic details.  I mostly lean toward very tailored and minimal design.  However, the current "statement sleeve" trend (#yearofthesleeve) has my attention.  Flounce, bell, long or short, I can't resist this fun new detail.

The Burda pattern (Flounce Dress 12/2016 #107) turned out better than I thought it would.  I was certain the pleat and flounce detailing would push my perfectionist button to the point of no return.  It really taught me to slow down and take one step at a time.  I was pleasantly pleased with the result.  I used a beautiful crepe fabric from Mood Fabrics.  The drape and weight is perfect and will make this dress fun and comfortable to wear.  I did have issues with the pattern sleeves (as did another reviewer) and re-designed them to match the flounce detail.  I also didn't want to add a zipper so I left a 5" opening and added a pearl button and thread loop.  I think this detail is better than a zipper for this dress.

Next up...


I can tell Butterick B5211 is going to be a favorite.  It's a casual sheath dress with pockets and a few sleeve variations.  I can see many different hacks to this pattern in the future.  This dress was made with blue coral and oxford tan diamond printed polyester crepe from Mood Fabrics.

Again, I opted out of putting in a zipper and added a pearl button with thread loop.  It makes the dress lighter and adds a delicate detail to the design.  Also, zippers are time consuming and I never have enough in my supply.  So, full disclosure, I was too lazy to run to he fabric store.

As for the sleeves...the stitching on the elastic hems were visible so I tucked and tacked them under for a more pronounced balloon effect.  Add some funky wedge heels or strappy flats and this dress will go from dinner out to backyard party easily. Now, I just need an occasion to wear it.


I'm fairly new to the online sewing community (mostly on Instagram), so don't hesitate to introduce yourself. I look forward to meeting you.


Related Posts with Thumbnails