Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A literal carpet of flowers - Brussels in bloom

I was saving this beautiful post for a rainy day! Isn't this amazing?!







The Carpet of Flowers in the Grand-Place, Brussels. Close to a million begonia flowers were used to create the 300 square metres carpet in August 2008. The pattern is based on a medieval carpet design.



Craftsmen arrange the carpet by hand, directly onto the square's cobblestones, without any soil. Grass and tree bark were also used to provide color.





The first Carpet of Flowers was created in 1971 as a way to promote begonias. Each square metre of ground contains more than 300 flowers - The First Post

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning and amazing all in one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful! Wow! I'd love to see that in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!! I've never seen this before!!! Love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it gorgeous?! Can't wait to see what they do this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails