Monday, October 9, 2017

My current favorite pattern - The Lois Dress Pattern by Tessuti Fabrics

One of the first PDF patterns I made was from Tessuti Fabrics.  It was also my first foray into downloading free patterns from the internet.  Tessuti Fabrics is based in Sydney, Australia, and is known for its beautiful linen fabrics and clothing patterns that are simple and stylish.  There are a number of free PDF pattens on their site that I highly recommend adding to your collection

I'm always on the lookout for dress patterns that will flatter but also be versatile.  The Lois dress was recently released and fit the bill so I bought it and put it in my sewing queue.  Last week, I finally had a chance to spend a few days piecing together the pattern and listening to podcasts (specifically Lovett or Leave it and With Friends Like These - both by the Crooked Media).  BTW, pattern piecing and podcasts in my guilty pleasure.  It is a form a meditation to me whereas years ago, any pattern preparation would have resulted in me pulling out my hair.

I decided to make a muslin with this pattern as I was certain I'd be making several of these and wanted to get a sense of fit and flexibility.  In doing so, I found that I could get away with no side zipper and simply slip the dress over my head.  I also noted the skirt was a bit fuller than I liked in the stiffer muslin fabric (drape being stiffer in the muslin).

The result is this dress that is so comfortable and easy to wear. The fabric is a viscose from Mood Fabrics (yes, Project Runway's Mood) which is currently on sale for $11.19/yard.  It drapes beautifully and I love the abstract design.



I didn't have quite enough fabric for the skirt which worked to my advantage.  I placed the skirt pieces together so that the waist remained the same measurement but graded the back seam to fit my fabric yardage.  The result is that the fullness of the skirt was taken in quite nicely.  So, this all worked to my advantage.

I can't wait to make this dress again.  I'll likely make a slightly smaller version into which I'll place a side zipper, too.

For my beloved nerdy friends...please note the adorable tardigrade on the dresser of the first photo.

REMINDER:  My first class - Garment Construction 2.0 - the Scout Tee - is happening tomorrow at Sierra Sewing in Reno.   Last I heard is was filling fast.  I have another class in November, so if you are interested, please sign up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails