Tuesday, January 10, 2012

From chewed to reviewed: How my dog made me appreciate my accomplishments

Lola! This puppy will chew on anything. From a new pair of Max's Vans (just purchased this past weekend)...


To my mom's vintage tomato pin cushion (which I'd schlepped with me from childhood to now).
I came home yesterday to find my studio floor covered with a chewed up photo album. Luckily, it wasn't my childhood album or Max's baby album.  It was photos of the first handbags I made some 5ish years ago.

As I gathered the torn pages, I couldn't help but look at the photos. Wow, I've come a long way. I started out making reversible bags in simply geometric shapes.  I've kept some of my styles and have moved away from others.  I used to carry this album to trade and craft shows so that my customers could see my work.  Surprisingly, I liked what I saw and felt a tinge of pride in the collection of items I had documented.  I may have never looked at these photos again for years had Lola not chewed them to pieces.



It is healthy to look back at what you've accomplished. It will gratify you, surprise you, and perhaps energize you. If you haven't already, I highly recommend putting together a portfolio of your work. If not for your business, for yourself.

Have you looked at your past work lately?


Related Posts with Thumbnails