Thursday, April 8, 2010

A day without shoes


Update 4.12.10 - today I got my shoes!  Love them in the burlap.


I just bought my first pair of Tom's Shoes.  I'm so excited to support this company because with every pair of shoes purchased,  a new pair of shoes is sent to a child in need - one for one.
Many children in developing countries grow up barefoot. Whether at play, doing chores or going to school, these children are at risk:


•A leading cause of disease in developing countries is soil-transmitted diseases, which can penetrate the skin through bare feet. Wearing shoes can help prevent these diseases, and the long-term physical and cognitive harm they cause.


•Wearing shoes also prevents feet from getting cuts and sores. Not only are these injuries painful, they also are dangerous when wounds become infected.


•Many times children can't attend school barefoot because shoes are a required part of their uniform. If they don't have shoes, they don't go to school. If they don't receive an education, they don't have the opportunity to realize their potential.  [source - Toms.com]

Today is One Day Without Shoes.  Tom's is encouraging people to spend some time barefoot today to spread awareness.  While it may not be feasible for you to go barefoot today, there are many other ways to get involved if you want.  Check out their website for details.

[BTW, I'm barefoot as I type this.]

3 comments:

  1. good for you. That is very nice of you to think of other people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - I love being barefoot. Sorry I missed barefoot day. The shoes, however I do not have to miss! Great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post...I did go barefoot yesterday, but that is a common occurrence.... but what a great cause and those shoes look very comfy....going to go check them out.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails