Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Engaging my child as I work

Sometimes, I just have to get work done even as my kids are pleading for my attention. Today is such a day. I have family coming in to visit, vacation to prepare for, and orders that must get finished and out the door. So, as E begged to draw with me, I decided to set up a "studio" space in my own studio for him to draw while I work.

As a kid, I spent many hours playing "office" or "designer." I'd set up my "studio" in my bedroom and pull out my fashion plates. I just couldn't wait to be an adult with a real working office. The grass is always greener, right?!


E was happy to sit near me and draw for a bit. He balked at my idea of pretending and insisted on calling this space his studio. He moved in all of his supplies. Then he asked if he could sell his art online. I could be encouraging a budding entrepreneur or paving the way to life as a starving artist. Oh, well, at least he is having fun and I'm getting work done while spending time together.

8 comments:

  1. Wowwwwwww... can I live here?! :)

    Thanks for stopping by the Give Back celebration - HJ has been a long time fave - she even did my wedding invites! I'm so happy to have clicked over to your blog - I looooooooove it!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had those fashion plates too! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guy likes to sew with me - anything for more attention to Mom! I'm hoping he gets enough! I blogged his latest creation here:
    http://candiedfabrics.wordpress.com/2009/08/01/introducing-blueberry-the-bear/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent playing with my fashion plates! It was such serious play for me. I thought I was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that's so cute! his own studio! if i had kiddies i think that's what i'd do too.
    i remember fashion plates!!! oh man, i loved my set! i used to 'design' houses too with floor plans and everything. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Fashion Plates. Those things totally ruled. The outfits! Floral bells, puffy shirts, big old hoop earrings! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it funny how much we loved FPs. I'm sure there was a limit to the designs, but I don't remember ever feeling like I couldn't come up with something new. I was going to rule the world of fashion!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails