Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What's your favorite childhood board game?

Life...Monopoly...Sorry? Mine, for the longest time, was Mystery Date. Okay, stop laughing. I'm not proud of that. I just loved opening that damn door. Anyway, is it just me or does every parent buy their childhood games for their kids? I've once owned and now purchased for my kids:

Monopoly
Life (funny, I hated to fill my car with people)
Risk
Stratego
Operation (a must in our household)
Uno
Sorry
Trouble
Pay Day (another favorite of mine)
Twister
Candy Land
Chutes and Ladders
...to name a few.

Last week, E and I decided to play Pay Day. I used to love playing this game. As we rounded the board for the second month, I realized I now live Pay Day (you know...the bills and unexpected expenses) without the great lottery or sweep stake wins. Funny, it seemed much more fun when I was little.



Game makers are keeping up with the times. I don't remember a "charity walk" on Pay Day when I was a kid or being paid $3500/month on pay day (it was $200 if I recall). In good times, Monopoly has raised the prices on its properties. Are we to expect a Monopoly: Recession Edition with foreclosures and evictions down the road? Click photo below for a closer look at the game.

"The flagship version of THE GAME OF LIFE has been updated many times since its launch in 1960 to ensure that it matches modern-day life," said Matt Collins, Vice President of Marketing. "When we started to design a completely new edition of the popular game, we knew it was also time to reflect the way people choose to pay and be paid - and replacing cash with Visa was an obvious choice." [source]

Notice the product branding of Visa. Yet another sign of the times. I'm thinking the cash only version is the way to go.

The Game of Life was another favorite of mine. Even as a kid, I loved having a mixed peg family. I make it a point to tell my kids that it's okay for two blue pegs or two pink pegs to marry. Unfortunately, not in the state of California...yet. Will some things never change?!

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard of Master Piece? It's a fairly simple game but fun. You basically buy and sell famous paintings and whoever has the most money at the end wins. Like I said, simple but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall...I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    We have just added your latest post "alamodeSTUFF blog - unique stuff with urban appeal" to our Directory of Foreclosure . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


    Warm Regards

    Foreclosu-re.info Team

    http://www.foreclosu-re.info

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, me again, just really enjoying your posts. the cartoon is hysterical. i used to name all of my life kids as i acquired them! LOL names like mavis.

    i still have my mystery date game. i am guessing we are close in age. i am 43.

    never played payday but am a champ at sorry!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails