Thursday, April 23, 2009

Leave it to cleavage!

We have a wedding to go to in May. Over the weekend, I came across a pretty black dress that fit quite nicely. The price was right and the style new and interesting. The problem is that it is low cut. It definitely shows cleavage!

I grew up in a very conservative environment where being modest was not simply encouraged but enforced. The school I went to had a dress code (skirts below the knee - even my cheerleading outfit). So, I think I still have some lingering issues with modesty. I never want to draw too much unwanted attention to myself yet, I hate limiting myself based on my own hangups. Of course, my husband isn't much help with this.

There is a very distinct difference between tasteful décolletage and blatant bosom baring. I've seen many tastefully dressed women in low cut dresses and often think nothing more than that they look great. Does anyone really notice and care? Is it just me? Should I get over it?






So, I ask you...tasteful or tacky...how do you draw the line? And, be honest, do you judge a woman by her cleavage?

8 comments:

  1. I would be thrilled to have this dilemma - but I'm not built that way!! Damn. I would bust the boobs out if I had 'em. Pic #3!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Daisy Janie...no way could I ever fill out one of those numbers. #3 is undoubtedly the tamest of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 is certainly what i think a real woman (i.e., not a Hollywood woman) would look best in. Wish i had cleavage to show, as Alicia and Daisy Janie noted....

    ReplyDelete
  4. If i had it...i would sport it...time to show-off what you've been hiding all these years...

    ReplyDelete
  5. nothing wrong with a bit of cleavage. i voted for number 3...seems most tasteful. i have to deal with this dilemma too...its way too easier to cross that line and look trashy.

    but since you're going to a wedding...unless its an evening ceremony, i wouldn't do any cleavage or would put something like a camisole underneath to cover up more if the dress is very low cut. for the smaller busts its not a prob, they can wear low cuts and still look classy...bigger busts have to mitigate that line the lower the v-cut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all! I feel much better about it. I knew I could count on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, the stats on the poll are interesting (see view stats). 2 people voted for all of the above. Wonder if they were guys (one being my husband)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's reallllllly hard to pull off cleavage without being tacky. Show some leg instead ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Got a question, email me. If you like my blog, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails